5 Reasons Why Women Are Better at Learning Languages than Men
Learning a new language is difficult especially for people who do not have any background on it. Acquiring the ability and facility to communicate using another tongue can be easy for some while complicated for others. Several researches have been conducted on factors that affect using foreign words in communicating, and found that one observable determinant of the ease and speed for a person to grasp the meaning and use of a foreign language is gender. It seems that various studies have been able to prove that women are better than men when it comes to speaking a foreign language.
Studies conducted on this topic pinpoint and explain some of the reasons why this phenomenon occurs.
· First, women have the ability to listen more attentively than men. By nature, most women are good listeners and they have the ability to absorb what they hear. Many females are able to interpret correctly discourses using strange expressions just by listening and by watching facial expressions of the speaker. Because females tend to analyze what they have been hearing, they are able to comprehend and discover the meaning of new words and new expressions and later, use them on their own.
· Second, women naturally love to talk. At home, in school or anywhere else, ladies tend to be more talkative than the gentlemen. They would even strike a conversation with a foreigner and understand what is being said just by watching the gestures and facial expressions of the speaker. In addition, they can easily find meaning in the tone of the voice and the loudness or softness of the speech. It is also a fact that the females are believed to have a natural talent for playing with words using different languages.
· Third, feminine tongue tends to deliver lengthy sentences compared to their masculine counterparts. A study estimated that women speak around 18, 000 words while men only 7,000 words per day. Some males are afraid of being labeled feminine if they talk a lot, so they seldom give lengthy descriptions and discussions. When answering questions, gentlemen stick to short answers that are direct to the point.
· Fourth, females are less likely to feel embarrassed when they commit a mistake when using foreign expressions and words than men are. Women enjoy talking and they are willing to be ridiculed for their errors rather than to keep their mouth shut and say nothing for hours. They are natural communicators and they enjoy trying to be understood by another person to the extent of exerting great efforts to be able to speak the other person’s dialect.
· Last, mothers teach their children the correct use of the spoken words preferred at home and probably two to three other languages that they think the child must learn. Usually, the foreign language chosen is what one of the in-laws speaks. For example, a family with a member married to a German would be encouraged to learn German in order to communicate effectively with an in-law. When working in a different country, knowing words and expressions common in that country will be beneficial.
Although it is not conclusive that the female gender are more skilled than the males when it comes to acquiring a new language, existing evidences signify that women can learn another language more easily and quickly compared to their male counterparts.
Sign up and take a language course on Acadsoc!