5 Vital Steps in the Process of Learning Organic Chemistry
Organic Chemistry is one of the most daunting branches of chemistry for the majority of college students. Owing to its extensive syllabus, studying Organic Chemistry requires a methodical approach. Since this branch of Chemistry is quite exigent, the rate of failing is also abnormally high. However, students who are determined to explore science or healthcare related career paths are bound to study organic chemistry.
It is the commitment and uphill struggle that can help students to ace this challenging course. Once a student makes up his mind to try to understand how to learn Organic Chemistry effectively, he will need to follow several steps and techniques in order to achieve success in this subject. The following are some vital steps to help students in the process of learning Organic Chemistry:
1. Before start pondering how to learn Organic Chemistry well, students must gain knowledge in some important concepts of General Chemistry such as:
· Periodic table
· Lewis Dot structure
· Periodic trends for example- electron affinity and electro negativity
· The fundamental concepts of thermo chemistry and chemical equilibrium
· Hybrid structures and resonance
· The properties of acids and bases
All the above concepts will help students consolidate their foundation for understanding Organic Chemistry.
2. In order to excel at Organic Chemistry, students must gain mastery in knowing the names, structures and shapes of various organic molecules. In order to achieve this, students must grasp the IUPAC system of nomenclature which is quite methodical and students are only required to do a lot of practice on rules in order to get familiar with naming and drawing of the compound structures. After practicing the rules, students can easily draw the structure of any compound by just knowing its name.
For example, - 2-Butanol. In this case “-ol” denotes alcohol or the “–OH” group, “But” implies a 4-carbon-chain and the number 2 signifies that the –OH group is attached to the second carbon in the chain. Thus, the condensed structural formula of 2-Butanol would be:
Though there are a few compounds that do not follow the IUPAC nomenclature and are prevalently known by their usual names. Students need not worry because there are only 10 or 15 such exceptions which they need to remember.
3. Students can check out Organic Chemistry help sites where they can get Organic Chemistry online help through the various topics covered in those websites. They should practice a plethora of problems in order to get hold of the numerous concepts. The more students solve the problems, the more their concepts will get lucid.
4. Students must develop a habit of writing whenever they learn a new lesson or topic with Organic Chemistry online help. The deeper the habit of drawing structures and writing the reactions root, the longer these topics will retain in their minds.
5. The Organic Chemistry help sites encourage students to use the appropriate language or for Organic Chemistry such as deprotonation, delocalization, elimination, nucleophile etc. Students must use these ‘jargons’ while explaining the mechanisms and organic reactions. By using these terms appropriately, students will be able to understand the subject well and score higher.