How to Learn and Speak American English
Did you know that English is among the most widely spoken languages in the world? About 70 countries in the world use English as a lingua franca. English is used in business transactions, online communication and in school instruction. This means that learning English is a must if you want to travel and enjoy the world. This language happens to have many different varieties. One of the easiest and most interesting varieties to learn is American English. Here are some tips that will be really helpful for the person that wants to learn American English.
1. Foreign immersion
Experts say that the best way to learn any new language is through foreign immersion. This is a situation whereby the learner moves and settles in the country where the language he wants to learn is spoken as a native language. For instance, if you want to learn the American variety of English, you could do so by moving to the US. There are schools and universities that provide exchange programs that act as an opportunity to learn the language. However, this method of learning English has its own limitations especially for foreigners.
- Not everyone may have the time and finances to want to relocate to the US and participate in the cultural immersion experience.
- It is not that easy to get admitted in one of these exchange programs. The selection procedures are very stringent, and you have a load of requirements to meet to get in.
- The fact that you are relocating to another country means that you will have to leave your job, family and friends and this could be very complicated. In short, even though cultural immersion gives you the opportunity to learn the language firsthand from the natives, it is not a plausible option for many people.
2. Watching TV shows, movies and magazines
The beauty of the American variety of English normally lies in the accent, which differs greatly from the Queen's English, the vocabulary and the different idiomatic expressions and figurative use of language. These are all things that can be learned when you watch a lot of American television shows. The accent may seem a little strange at first; however, when you do it repeatedly and continuously, you will start understanding the language. But you should know that most talk shows are fairly faster paced. The beginner can be OK with The Good Morning America or The Today Show. Similarly, reading a lot of American literature will help you know the expressions that are common to American spoken English. However, this method of learning also happens to have its own limitations.
- To start with it is practically impossible to expect to learn all aspects of the language by simply watching movies.
- Getting the time to watch movies all day is a little bit difficult if not impossible.
3. Taking classes at a local college
A simple and convenient way in which you can learn American English is by enrolling at a local school that teaches English. You need to make sure that the school teaches the grammar and vocabulary of American English. You need to look for a school whose speakers are native speakers of American English. This is the only way you will learn how to pronounce words the American way. This method also has its own set of limitations:
- To start with, very few local colleges are equipped with American teachers that will help you learn the American way of pronouncing things.
- The other disadvantage is that you will not have someone to help you practice the new accent. This means that it will take a longer time to understand and internalize the American accent.
The classes are also a little bit inconvenient in case you have a job or other activities because you may not have time to take part in physical class situation.
4. Self instruction
This is another viable way of learning English. This method involves buying books about English grammar and usage and getting tapes that teach the pronunciation of the words. This method is great because you get to decide the time when you are free to learn. However, it has limitations because there is no one to examine and judge your progress. Also, there is no way to know whether you have understood that accent or not.
5. Taking online classes
Of all the methods of learning American English, getting English tutors online is one of the best ways. This is because it acts as a bridge between emersion, classes and watching literatures and films that are in American English. Online tutoring has the following main advantages:
- It is very cheap when you compare it to options like foreign immersion, and physical classes.
- Unlike immersion and classes, you get to choose the times that you will have the classes.
- You get to have a tutor that teaches you how to pronounce words and helps you articulate words the right way.
Acadsoc online English tutors are some of the best people that can help you learn the grammar, pronunciation and accent of the American variety of English. The best thing about these tutors is the fact they are Ivy League. They will guide you through all aspects of learning American English. They are native speakers of American English, which means they will teach you the language.
There is the choice of getting a group class or a private tutor. The classes are relatively cheaper than the other options, and you have a person that guides you every step of the way. As long as you have a willingness to learn, you can be assured that you will have an easy time learning the language. Take time and enroll in a class with an online tutor. It is simply the easiest and most convenient way to learn the language.