Quick Spoken English Tips
How to Build and Improve Confidence While Speaking
Confidence is important when learning and speaking a new language. Being able to evaluate your own current skills and abilities is the first step. To find out what affects your confidence while speaking in English you may need to ask yourself these questions:
1. What makes you nervous? It is good to think about what are some of the factors that create nervousness when speaking. A little nervousness is okay and expected. If nervousness affects your ability to speak, then it is a concern. Here are a few possible reasons for nervousness while speaking:
· Lack of topics
2. How often do you practise speaking in English?
· Many people hesitate to speak in English because it is not their first language. Others may also not get opportunity to practise using the language. This lack of familiarity causes hesitation and affects confidence.
· Do lots of oral reading if you do not get an opportunity to speak with others.
· Join an online community and interact with others who are trying to improve their English skills.
· Get a mentor who can guide you through a course that is fit for your needs. Online learning is fun and you can do it at the comfort of your home.
Practise your spoken English skills with confidence. Contact a tutor to help guide you through an online English course. The more you practice the more confidence you will build.
3. Do you come prepared? Whether it’s an oral book report or a presentation or even a meeting with a person for the first time, it’s important to come prepared with topics to discuss.
· Practise conversations with others
4. Are you ready to make mistakes?
· Don’t let the fear of mistakes prevent you from practising. Be ready to make mistakes and make the necessary corrections.
5. Do you expect too much?
· Set realistic expectations for your improvement.
· Speaking is a habit. Many people get frustrated if their improvement is not immediate. The fact is that it takes time to improve.
· Keep practising, and always ask for lots of feedback.
6. Do you feel overwhelmed or stressed?
· Many students who are studying for an English exam don’t prepare ahead of time but cram just before the exam.
· Give yourself time to study.
7. Are you familiar with the basics?
· Sometimes many mistakes take place because you are not even aware of the basics. A refresher course or mentor can guide you via an online class.
Want to know more? Need more practice? Get online spoken English help on Acadsoc. A tutor is important to help strengthen and improve your spoken English skills. Feedback is essential for further improvement. Confidence builds when you know the “rules”.